Thursday, May 10, 2012

Choosing One Specific Subtopic


My chosen topic: 
How can federal and state funding be better distributed to the early childhood field?

This topic was chosen by me because I feel that the distribution of funding to the early childhood field has a great influence on the number of educators and programs that the field has.  With careful consideration and research I hope to discover where funding is actually being distributed and what areas would benefit most from federal and state funding.  Although I will not attempt to focus on all 50 states and the manner in which they distribute their funding I will focus on more than one in order to gain the most understanding possible.  By being aware of the funding that has been set aside for the early childhood and becoming aware of where this funding is spent and how it can be better budgeted to maximize its use for young children and their families.  The overall experience I’ve had conducting research and gathering useful information has been somewhat difficult but I feel it will become much easier with time.   

4 comments:

  1. Sharee,

    Your topic is very interesting. Exploring this topic in depth should give you the opportunity to learn more about how funding decisions are made. I would guess that this is a very complex process that involves many different entities- each with their own agenda and focus. I have alway wondered how we continue to fund public schools in a way that perpetuates inequity. I remember from a previous class that Title 1 funds are available for early education, yet rarely utilized. I have been curious about why this is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great topic Sharee! Each year the school that I teach in is in fear of losing our funding to keep small class sizes. As of now our kindergarten class size is 17, without the funding from the state our class size would be 24. Many of the students I teach are at-risk, losing this funding would be extremely detrimental to their academic success. I look forward to hearing about your findings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharee,

    Great topic to research! Funding is a sticky subject; I am glad you are covering it! I look forward to reading your findings!

    Geralyn mentioned Title 1 funding is rarely utilized, and was curious about why. Have you found any information about this? I, too am curious about this now. The district I teach at is Title 1 and we use our funding. With education funding in the state it is now in, I am shocked that districts would not use funding that is available.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're all in this together. Research can be challenging and we have read. We need to keep focused and keep compiling information until we arrive at a conclusion to satisfy our "right now" and what could happen with the wrong information. I don't look at research as a challenge, I look at is as experience. Thanks

    ReplyDelete