•A description of the
three items you would choose
Bible
Family picture
A journal
•How you would
explain to others what each of these items means to you
I would explain to others what this means to me by first
explaining to them where I came from and the obstacle that I have faced. I would explain that although resilience is a
wonderful thing to have, I am guided by faith and the belief that all obstacles
are overcome through prayer and the comfort of family. I release every emotion that I endure into a
journal, in order to keep myself grounded.
Without my journal I sometimes feel overwhelmed and allow small things
to get the best of me.
•Your feelings if,
upon arrival, you were told that you could only keep one personal item and have
to give up the other two items you brought with you
If I were told that I was able to keep only one of my three
items I don’t think that it would be a hard choice of what to keep. Although I would be hurt to have to give up
my family picture and my journal that I vent to, I would be able to do it
easily if it meant being able to keep my bible.
I know that the memory of my children and family would always remain in
my mind and heart. My faith will carry
me through all the pain and feelings of displacement that I may have and later
encounter. Although some things are out
of our hands, God always has the final say.
•Any insights you
gained about yourself, your family culture, diversity, and/or cultural
differences in general, as a result of this exercise,
Through this exercise I gained a better insight about myself
and what keeps me grounded. I realized
that because of prayer, family and the ability to vent into my journal I have
become more in-touch with myself and who I am.
After reading many of the posts for this assignment, it seems that faith is a powerful force during such stressful times.
ReplyDeleteI wonder how people would respond if they had been moved to a culture with a different religion? I makes me think of the Spanish Jews whose religion was driven so far underground by persecution, that generations later, some didn't even realize that they were Jews.
Have you read My Name Was Hussein? It's a children's book that is an amazing read for teachers.
Hi Sharee,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post!! I noticed like myself and many of our colleagues, you have named your bible and family pictures as 2 of your items. But the fact that you mentioned your journal really stands out. Like you I also keep a journal, and I often find myself reflecting back on past entries looking for guidance and areas for improvement.
I love the idea that you would bring a journal. Keeping a journal allows one to respond to difficult situations or experiences by taking time to think things through. Reflecting on those times can be extremely positive and would provide others with an understanding of your own culture.
ReplyDelete