Saturday, November 5, 2011

Birthing Experience

The personal birthing experience that I have chosen to write about is the birth of my daughter Ma’Kayla. The things that I remember the most about my daughter’s birth would have to be the excitement that her dad and I felt when my water broke and we realized that it was time for our daughter to enter the world. After the excitement was the labor pain and the urgency that I had to get to the hospital and get the medication from the epidural flowing through my system. Having my child’s father with me through the entire labor process was the best feeling of support that I’d had the entire pregnancy. I chose this example because it pertained to the birth of my first child and it was a very exciting and fulfilling day for me. I think that birth has a great impact on the development of the child. I feel this because I know individuals that have had complications at birth that have been life threatening for themselves as well as for the child. In some situations the child’s development is hurt due to complications and birth defects that come about due to these complications.
In Germany, there is very little similarities between the birth of my child and the birth in thier country.  After doing research on Germany and births in their country I have found that there are no antibiotics provided for the mother or the child during pregnancy or after the birth of the child. Also in Germany, the mother has to depend on receiving information regaurding her pregnancy from the pharmacy rather than a doctor.  Now to me this seems to be a little out of place.  I know when I was carrying my child every appointment that I went to I had a list of questions written down for my doctor, so to think that these women did not have this same opportunity was very surprising.   

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sharee, I enjoyed reading your post! I agree with you, that is surprising that the mother has to depend on receiving information regarding her pregnancy from the pharmacy rather than a doctor. I would have never thought that would be a procedure of any kind. I thought that the pharmacy was responsible for giving out meds and answering any questions you may have. But to have to get the info for a pregnancy from there, never would have crossed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I know that had to feel good to have your child's father present during your experience. I'm praying that my experience will be the same when I have a baby...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharee, I enjoyed reading your post and it is very important to have a support system while you are pregnant and when you deliver. It was very interesting to read about the birthing experience in Germany. It has to be difficult to consult with a pharmacist and not a physician. Great Post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brandee, it was very special to me especially since we had our first child at such a young age, and I'm sure you will have the same wonderful experience. Sophia I chose Germany because one of my friends are stationed in Germany now and expecting a child, she is very nervous although her child will be delivered by a doctor from the U.S. Thank you ladies for your comments and I can't wait to read and commnet on your posts as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is nice to have the father in the room. So they can see whay we go through as women when it comes to childbirth. I'm glad he was there for you. I enjoyed your story.

    ReplyDelete