Saturday, November 12, 2011

Nutrition/Malnutrion

After studying prenatal development during week one, I became aware of many things that had a direct influence on the development of a child.  One influence was malnutrion of the mother while carrying the infant.  I learned that the malnutrion of the mother while carrying the child could have a very negative influence on the child.  I chose to do research on Somalia because nearly 50% of the children there are considered to have malnutrion.  In Somalia malnutrion is common for young children and their mothers, and over half of the deaths of childen are associated with malnutrition. After reading about the influence that malnutrion has on children in Somalia I have become more aware of how serious it truly is in parts of the world outside of the U.S.  The information that I have learned will allow me to be more aware of the signs of malnutrion in order for me to prevent developmental harm to young children. Since I am aware of  the severity of malnutrion it will help me in my future work, by giving me a deeper perception of things that may be going on in the homes of children that may possibly be neglected or not receiving the proper nutrition that is needed. 

                                                       

2 comments:

  1. Excellent job Sharee. It's good to hear something about Somalia rather than pirates, although I hate the fact that most of the children are malnurished. I'm glad that you decided to shed light on this situation though because I never really envisioned poverty in Somolia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharee,
    It is good to see that all of the people in our group have such great hearts. Each time I read a blog, I see that we all want to prevent things from happening to young children and their families.
    Thanks for shedding light for me in regards to malnutrition in Somalia.

    That was rather funny what Terrance said about learning more about Somalia than just knowing about the pirates.

    ReplyDelete