Saturday, December 10, 2011

Testing for Intelligence

When considering viewing young children holistically I think that there are two very important components to the child that need to be assessed.  The first is the emotional stability of the child.  I say this because when a child has the proper emotional intelligence, the child is able to take the other person's feelings into perspective. It is thought that emotitiona intelligence is more important in the development and success in the child's life as well when determining the later success of the child as an adult (Berger).  For this reason I think that emotional intelligence should be measured and assessed for the benefit of the entire child. I also think that the intellectual ability should be measured and assessed.  Being aware of the intellectual level that the children are on will allow for adjustment and alteration to best fit the educational needs of the children or a specific child in general. 
In Canada there are a number of categories that are used to measure and assess school aged children.  School aged children are assessed through what is called the Woodcock Family of Tests.  This testing system is used to measure and assess general intellectual ability, specific cognitive abilities, oral language, and achievement.  Through the testing and measurments of these specific areas Canadians are able to diagnose learning disabilities early, plan educational and individual programs for students, assess growth and provide guidance in educational and clinical settings. 
 
Nelson Education link- http://www.assess.nelson.com/test-ind/wj-3.html

4 comments:

  1. I agree, if children face challenges with their emotions they will not have a great experience at school. I believe that this also stems from children having secure attachment. If they are lacking in these areas learning might be a little difficult. I feel as if children who lack emotional stability are quick to be labeled. This has been my experience in the field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharee:

    You saved my life! LOL I really enjoyed reading this blog. I TOTALLY agree about the emotional intelligence being measured and assessed. As an adult, I must say that I am very emotional. And I know me being emotional has played a major part in my BAD decision making. lol I may have to bite off you a little when I do my blog, just because I want to elaborate about that more. I know it's about the kids but blogs can be used as a place to vent as well. So I will do both lol. Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to read your blog. God bless...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post! One thing that I realized within this week is that self esteem also play an important role on how children take test. A child that is being bullied or feels unacceptable, may perform lower just for those reasons. (This ties in with emotional stability). It was mentioned in the text (Berger) that when children feel loved, and liked by their peers, they are happier and perform better in school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have learned a lot from reading your post. I do agree that emotional intelligence should be measured and assessed. If a child is sad or have an emotional problem that noone is aware of then he/she will not learn to his/her fullest potentials; sometimes children act out because they are having to deal with a lot in their lives and they are too young to understand how to handle situations, this also affects their self esteem which is very important.

    ReplyDelete